Daily Archives: July 23, 2012
Catholic and Muslim Similarities
In this study, I have found a tight relationship with Catholicism. Muslims are following similar practices of Catholics in fighting off the demonic world. For example:
The Use of Holy Water —
• Catholics believe there is power in the water that is blessed by a priest or the pope.
• Muslims believe that the water from the Zamzam well in Mecca has super natural power to it.
The Use of Shrines and praying to the Dead –
• Muslims will travel great distances to visit the tombs of dead Muslims who were related to Muhammad, in hopes that by touching, kissing, or embracing it they may receive some sort of blessing or power over the Jinns.
• Catholics will do the same. My parents are Baptist Church planters in Ireland and while I was visiting them in Droghada I also visited the cathedral. On the left hand side of the cathedral is a glass chapel with a glass alter. On this alter there is a glass box which contains the mummified head of Oliver Plunkett, the Archbishop of Armagh. Today, thousands of Catholics will pray to the dead, like St. Olie (Oliver Plunkett) believing that the dead will give them some kind of power or blessing just like Muslims.
Compare the Penance of some Catholics with the Shi’ite practice of Ashura -
Self-flagellation is practiced in both Catholicism and Islam. To pay for ones sins, they must persecute their body. This is a sad sight to behold but the greater crime is that Muslim fathers will take the blades to their own toddler boys and cut their child’s scalp.
The Veneration of Mary – the Mother of Christ -
Perhaps the only other religious group in the world that venerates Mary as much as the Catholics will be the Muslims. There are many shrines to Mary to which both Catholics and Muslims will undertake long pilgrimages.
For example, in Portugal we have the famous shrine to Mary in Fatima where both Catholics and Muslims will worship and pray. It is also important to note that the town of Fatima in Portugal is named after Muhammad’s favorite daughter ‘Fatima.’
Other examples are:
• The Catholic Rosary and the Muslim prayer beads
• The head coverings – Notice how the Muslim Hijab and the Catholic Habbit look very similar.
• The Catholic Purgatory and the Muslim ‘al-A raf’
• Use of Relics
All of these things have nothing to do with scriptural Christianity and scriptural Islam.